VTASS Guide on
International Express Delivery
Generally speaking, there are two types of weight calculation methods.
The first method is the calculation of actual weight.
1) International parcel delivery across the world uses 0.5kg as a billing unit of weight
2) Parcel less than 0.5kg would be billed as 0.5kg. Prices are charged in 0.5kg increments
3) For parcel weighs over 21kg, service provider would use 1kg as the billing unit of weight
The second method is the calculation of volumetric weight.
1) International calculation of volumetric weight is based on 200kg's per cubic meter
2) The volumetric weight of a parcel should be calculated as follows :
length (cm) x height (cm) x width (cm) divided by 5000
e.g. 60 x 50 x 40 / 5000 = 24kg
All parcels will be subject to volumetric conversion and the shipment charge will be based on either the volumetric or actual weight, whichever is greater.
Regarding EMS, it would calculate the actual weight only, not volumetric weight.